HBS Alumni Angels of Boston & New England
HBS Alumni Angels of Boston & New England is comprised of Harvard alumni interested in learning about angel investing, advancing their entrepreneurial training and/or investing in early stage startups. HBS Angels is open to all Harvard alumni, not just HBS graduates. The companies in which we invest do not need any Harvard affiliation.
The HBS Alumni Angels of Boston & New England provides a forum for Harvard alumni to connect with, learn about, and invest in quality early-stage companies located predominantly in the Boston and New England area. The group's mission is to build a community of Harvard alums with a desire to continue to accelerate the entrepreneurial ecosystem found around HBS and the broader Boston community. The organization consists of current and former executives, entrepreneurs, and venture capitalists with a serious interest in investing their money, expertise, and time into high potential early stage entrepreneurial ventures.
The HBS Alumni Angels’ Selection Committee reviews 50+ deals each quarter and selects between 6 and 8 of the most promising companies to be invited to present during our Super Saturday. This gives the companies and the selection committee to interact in person. Following the Super Saturday event 3 or 4 teams are invited to present at each quarterly meeting.
The Selection Committee reviews the companies against the following criteria:
Each quarter, the selected companies will be invited to present at that quarter’s meeting for the HBS Alumni Angels members. Members interested in investing will pursue due diligence (either individually or as a group) after the meeting and make investment decisions individually. HBS Alumni Angels is not a fund. It is an affinity group with the express aim of driving education around early stage companies and connections between early stage companies and potential sources of capital.
- Is capital-efficient, early stage growth company. Markets targeted include, but are not limited to, internet, software, social networking, security enterprise, cloud, medical device, bio-technology, alternative energy applications, consumer goods and other venture capital targeted markets.
- Is operating in a large and/or growing market with a barrier to entry (e.g., an intellectual property position).
- Has demonstrated proof of concept and can articulate the revenue strategy clearly. Note: Priority goes to applicants with revenue traction (users, clients, customers).
- Has some unique / competitive advantage over other companies (or would-be companies) in this space.
- Can articulate an exit strategy.
- Has strong founder and senior management team (with compelling presentation and strong delivery skills).
- Is located or plans to locate or has a connection to New England.
To submit a business plan for consideration by HBS Alumni Angels of Boston and New England, please visit our Gust website,
Submit Plan. Please note: We consider in companies regardless of whether any of the management or owners are Harvard alumni.
Become a Member
Members are expected to agree to the terms of our Membership Agreement. If you are interested in becoming a member, please set up a Gust account at the following link:
Become a Member. Once you have completed the gust application, and received approval from the membership committee, please go to pay your $175 member dues via our website.
11/13 Application Deadline
11/24 Companies Notified
12/06 Present to Screening Committee
12/15 HBSAAB QuarterlyMeeting/Pitch Night
*HBSAAB will invite 6 to 8 teams to present in front of the Screening Committee. These teams will be allotted 10 minutes to present and will participate in a 10 minute Q&A. 3 to 4 of these teams will then be selected to pitch in front of the HBSAAB membership during the Quarterly Meeting/Pitch Night.
We are looking for dedicated volunteers to fill a variety of roles. If you are interested in volunteering please let us know by filling out this poll: Click to Volunteer.
Connect with us
MAILING LIST: To join our mailing list, register at http://bit.ly/PAKfa2
LINKED IN: http://linkd.in/OC5jNn
HBS Alumni Angels of Boston and New England Organization
||Paris Wallace, MBA, MPA 2008
||pariswallace (a) gmail.com
Boutin, MBA 2007
||eboutin33 (a) gmail.com
Lyon, MBA 1997
scottlyonw (a) gmail.com
Lindahl, OPM 2012
O'Connor, MBA 2008
Unger, MBA 2010